Oily skin and acne-prone skin often go hand in hand as excessive production of sebum oil is what creates blemishes to form. This skin type can often be challenging to please as you struggle with breakouts only to find your make-up is the cause behind the pimples you are trying to cover up with it in the first place. Plus which one is best for this troublesome skin type?
- An Inside Look at Face Powders
- Best Face Powders for Oily Acne Prone Skin
- 1. Neutrogena Skin Clearing Mineral Acne-Concealing Pressed Powder
- 2. Derma blend Loose Setting Powder
- 3. Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless Pressed Powder
- 4. True + Luscious Velvet Matte Oil-Control Face Powder
- 5. ETUDE HOUSE Zero Sebum Drying Powder
- 6. COVERGIRL Clean Matte Pressed Powder
- 7. L’Oréal Paris Makeup Infallible Pro-Sweep & Lock Loose Matte Setting Face Powder
- 8. E.L.F. High Definition Powder Loose Powder
- 9. Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder
- 10. Set for Life Facial Powder
- 11. Dermablend Intense Powder Camo Mattifying Foundation
- 12. Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder
- 13. Bare (Minerals) Essentials Blemish Rescue Skin-clearing Loose Powder Foundation
- 14. LORAC POREfection Baked Perfecting Powder
- 15. Glo Skin Beauty Mineral Pressed Powder Foundation
- 16. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Lightweight Loose Powder Makeup Foundation
- 17. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation
- 18. Marcelle Face Powder
- 19. PÜR Balancing Act Mattifying Skin Perfecting Powder
- 20. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Pressed Makeup Powder
An Inside Look at Face Powders
Well, first you need to have a little face powder 101. There are 4 types of face powders to be exact, and many of them blur into each other. Each one is different though and has a purpose. It is important to know the function of each face powder so you know which one will suit you and your skin. First on our list is:
Loose powders are in containers and when you open them, it is often like how you find your body talc powders. Loose powders are not in nice compacts. You can’t take them on the go with you and loose powders often can sometimes be messy. Applied often using a make-up brush loose powders give you light coverage. Never cakey loose powders goal is to typically help deal with shine along with aid in hiding blemishes.
The most popular pressed powders come in handy compacts that fit nicely in your purse to take with you on the go to provide convenient touch-ups when and where you need them so you are always looking fab. While popular, pressed powders have been known to have a downside of developing a cakey look, especially on oily acne-prone skin. Pressed powders nowadays have made leaps of improvement in this troublesome department delivering coverage and a handle on your shine.
Finishing powders normally have neutral or white color and are a lot finer. Their mission is to be put on once your make-up is complete to aid in completing coverage and create a smooth soft look, thus putting the finishing touches to your make-up helping it last longer.
Setting powders are translucent so there are no color shades really to choose from. Their goal is for you to guess it, setting your make-up in place to endure the whole day. Setting powders are great if you are into the “bake” technique. They tackle minimizing shine, but not if you need strong oil-absorbing coverage.
Now that you have a little know-how, what are then the best face powders for acne-prone and oily skin? Look no further than down below.
Best Face Powders for Oily Acne Prone Skin
1. Neutrogena Skin Clearing Mineral Acne-Concealing Pressed Powder
You got to love makeup that not only helps cover-up but clear up as well. Neutrogena Skin Clearing Mineral is a mineral-based face powder that helps cover up and fight breakouts all at the same time. Use over foundation or without as this pressed powder comes in 8 shades with buildable coverage.
PROS: Gentle enough for sensitive skin it is oil-free.
CONS: Can dry out skin if you apply too much.
2. Derma blend Loose Setting Powder
Here is a loose powder that is divine and hides your shine. It is so light and doesn’t look like you are wearing anything but covers and lasts for 16 hours. A foundation concealer and powder just apply and let it set to lock your look in place. It’s a matte powder so this will do well for oily and acne-prone skin. It boasts smudge-proof, smear-proof, and won’t rub and transfer on to clothing too.
PROS: Has dermatologist approval. Gentle for sensitive skin types. No fragrance, or phthalates, or SLS.
3. Maybelline Fit Me Matte Poreless Pressed Powder
This pressed powder will control your oily shine as it’s perfect for those that suffer from oily skin as it helps absorb excess oil on the spot, and it won’t clog the pores. For full coverage, apply on those oily spots the blend all over your face a completely fresh and smooth look.
PROS: 12 hours hold.
CONS: Doesn’t make your skin look Poreless. Instead makes your pores look less.
4. True + Luscious Velvet Matte Oil-Control Face Powder
Talc-free this face powder uses the power of minerals, and kaolin clay to help absurd excess oil to help you keep a clean fresh look. You get a soft matte finish that covers to deliver an even out skin tone look. It’s non-comedogenic too so this face powder will work if you are acne-prone too.
PROS: Vegan made. Has coverage, but with a translucent look.
5. ETUDE HOUSE Zero Sebum Drying Powder
No worries finding your right shade here, keep your oily skin from creeping back into your day with this white colorless face powder. Using its key ingredients of sugar polymer, willow tree, fermented soybean, cassia bar, oregano cypress portulaca. The finished product is a face powder that is super oil-absorbing and shrinks it down under control so it lasts through the day. The after look is skin that is shine-free with a nice matte finish.
PROS: Comes in one universal shade just apply over makeup to any oily spots. Can even be used on hair.
6. COVERGIRL Clean Matte Pressed Powder
Liked for its matte finish it works well in keeping away the oily shine. This compact pressed powder has worthy oil-absorbing power that applies on light not heavy, so it won’t clog up the pores reducing the risk of an outbreak. A score plus especially if you have oily and acne-prone skin.
PROS: Works well on sensitive skin too.
7. L’Oréal Paris Makeup Infallible Pro-Sweep & Lock Loose Matte Setting Face Powder
Using micro-fine translucent powder particles this is a loose face powder to create the perfect desired matted finish. While targeted for all skin types acne-prone and oily skin benefit the most as it features nice oil control and good coverage to minimize pores and line for s smooth look.
PROS: Can mattify lip color. No parabens.
CONS: In many states container size is quite small for what it cost, but it works.
8. E.L.F. High Definition Powder Loose Powder
[su_amz_img asin=”B004DIXYUI” imglink=”https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61ZFwRCFlvL._SL250_.jpg”]
An amazingly versatile loose powder comes in a sheer color to go with any complexion color. Use as your finishing touch to your make-up to seal it all in or wear alone. It will take out any lingering shine and slight imperfections creating a smooth skin with no make-up look.
PROS: It’s vegan-friendly and animal cruelty-free.
9. Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder
Touch up your shine and feel safe it won’t irritate and cause a breakout. Stay-Matte is a sheer to moderate coverage pressed powder made with an oil-free formula delivering a natural smooth matte look that is clean.
PROS: Works great on skin without make-up.
CONS: Frequent touch-ups may be needed.
10. Set for Life Facial Powder
Controls oil and hosts no talc or silica, yet it can control your oil pop up all day. This is a loose powder be sheer or used to build coverage it won’t sink into any creases or become thick and cake-like. Containing only 12 ingredients it is alright for acne-prone skin too.
PROS: Product works well for under eye “baking”. Cruelty-free.
11. Dermablend Intense Powder Camo Mattifying Foundation
This one comes in as a pressed powder and feels very soft on your skin when applied to give you moderate to full coverage. It is here due to its great oil control, along with it being non-comedogenic. Thus, making it non-acne inducing. The finish is mattifying softness.
PROS: Buildable coverage. Blends well into the skin to look flawless. No fragrance.
12. Innisfree No Sebum Mineral Powder
Containing the natural minerals from Jeju island, mint extract this face powder has super sebum oil-absorbing ability. It is like those oil-absorbing papers but in a powder. As a plus, it helps keep the skin/ sebum balance keeping it in check and your skin healthy.
PROS: Paraben-free and talc-free. No artificiality at all.
13. Bare (Minerals) Essentials Blemish Rescue Skin-clearing Loose Powder Foundation
Here is a loose face powder perfectly aimed for blemish-prone oily skin. Contains 5% salicylic acid to aid in breakout control along with oat proteins that soothe your skin, reduce shine letting you build your ideal coverage resulting in a clear matte finish.
PROS: Face powder formula won’t dry out the skin as its “moisture mineral”, complex helps keep skin hydrated enough.
14. LORAC POREfection Baked Perfecting Powder
If you are looking for an oily and acne friendly face powder this perfecting powder should be on your suggestion list. Pampered with acne-fighting salicylic acid, antioxidants, and the ability to fight oily shine this face powder could be your make-up game changer. A very gentle formula makes your face feel not over-dried giving you nice coverage too.
PROS: Has nice longevity wear. Paraben, phthalates, and sulfates free.
15. Glo Skin Beauty Mineral Pressed Powder Foundation
Sensitive skin with oily skin/acne problem? Glo Skin Beauty’s Mineral Pressed Powder Foundation is for you. Talc-free, non-comedogenic so it doesn’t clog your pores to entice breakouts. It even has a hint of sunscreen protection. Your result is a matte finish.
PROS: A mineral powder. Breathable allowing the skin to breathe through the makeup.
CONS: Reports hint it might not work well if you have any deep fine lines.
16. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Lightweight Loose Powder Makeup Foundation
Your skin will have clarity and look flawless. This loose powder provides breathable coverage that features light-reflecting pearls and minerals that help even out your skin tone erasing redness and shine. It won’t cause breakouts and leaves you with a natural skin glow.
PROS: Fragrance-free. Suitable for sensitive skin too.
CONS: While helps deal with minimal shine if you have a severe oily problem this might not work.
17. Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Compact Powder Foundation
A foundation and powder in one. You can apply then go out the door for a nice clean natural look This powder foundation contains acne-fighting and pore unclogging ingredients. Don’t worry about it causing breakouts it prevents them! As well as keeping your shine issues under control.
PROS: Has SPF 20 sun protection too. Micro clear Technology.
18. Marcelle Face Powder
Set your make-up or wear it naked for a nice matte finish as it absorbs not controls excess oil. Hypoallergenic and light, therefore it is welcoming for all skin types so it doesn’t aggravate the skin. Has long wear last too.
PROS: Cruelty-free. Fragrance-free.
CONS: Comes in two translucent shades of natural parts, but may not complement darker skin tones.
19. PÜR Balancing Act Mattifying Skin Perfecting Powder
A sheer face powder that contains a mosaic blend of natural shades this perfect powder helps correct shine, and blend out any leftover blemish imperfections, and helps minimize your pore appearance leaving a matte smooth skin look.
PROS: Animal cruelty-free.
CONS: Deep coverage free.
20. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Pressed Makeup Powder
Designed to give you a fresh smooth matte finish this pressed face powder can help maintain your shine and lessen the appearance of any acne imperfections. Not only that, but this is full of goodness for your skin too. Including vitamins C +E, and pro-vitamin B5 thus improving the outlook condition of your skin.
PROS: Welcoming for all skin types. You can wear it alone or to seal in your make-up under the foundation.
In the end when it comes to having acne-prone/ oily skin always opt for:
- A matte powdered finish – Other forms of face powders like glittery or shimmery face powders are no, no’s as these can exacerbate oily skin and lead to more breakouts.
- Always check that they are non-comedogenic – non-comedogenic means it won’t clog your pores which again can lead to a breakout.
- Go mineral powders – Change over to mineral-based face powders. Even though they might not mention it mineral-based powders don’t clog your pores and they don’t feature any artificial ingredients or synthetic chemicals.
Your skin will thank you for it.